Friday, April 25, 2008

Week 4

I've enjoyed learning about RSS feeds. It's not unlike adding sites to "Favourties". The ones I chose were the five recommended sites on Learning 2.0. However it was so difficult to chose one from the SMH, there are too many of interest. I ended up choosing two, one for fun, "Stay In Touch", and one that will be of a bit more use at work, "Entertainment", because they have a section on books with reviews and info. I also loved looking at the Powerhouse Museum's Picture of the Day. Favourite photo was of the Clyde Engineering staff voting to donate to the HMAS Sydney fund in 1941.

I found another terrific site that I have added to my RSS feeds, and that's one called Library Link of the Day. It already has 1,287 subscribers!! So that shows how useful others find it. It has a huge range of resources that library workers should know about, ranging from light hearted humour to new technology, and of course it has heaps about books. Also has an on-line shop selling library related merchandise, T-shirts, etc. I didn't dare visit this site as I'm a shopaholic, but maybe closer to my birthday I might.

These sites will be great to check out every day (if possible) to get some up-to-date conversation starters with library patrons, and keep abreast of what's going on in the world of books, libraries, research methods, etc. The more knowledge we have in this field, the more professional we are, and the more we can impress our customers.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

RSS feeds are great - I am aways getting surprised by what I find out this way.

Ellen