Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Week 12 - Wrap Up

What a sense of accomplishment I feel! So many times throughout this course I wanted to throw it in but I'm glad I persevered. It was a steep learning curve for me and I was totally out of my comfort zone. But hey, I learned heaps and that's the idea, isn't it? My favourite blog's have been Lossy Learning (for professionalism) and Atticus Mockingbird (for everything including having a social conscience).

So, how can libraries use social networking? I think we can use it to communciate with our clients and find out what services they want as well as let them know what we provide. We can use social networking to promote upcoming events and activities, and to advertise for volunteers for storytime, home delivery service and Friends of the Library. I think adding a touch of humour to a social network site is a good way to engage people, for example, the British Library Facebook site has a humurous title to a link to another site about the Magna Carta. The title is something like "Who is Magna Carta and did she die in vain?"

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Fantastic - you've finished! And now you're in the draw for an MP3 player.

Glad you've learned lots because you're right - that's what we hoped for :-)

Victoria